If you’re a member of the natural hair community, you know that natural hair gurus can be EVIL! There’s all these rules on what you should and shouldn’t do to your hair and it can be stressful af if you’re just starting your natural hair journey. The good thing is, everyone’s hair is different and its best to do what works for you.
Here’s 5 natural hair rules that I broke (and continue to break) to this day. Don’t yell it out to the world though, I don’t want any fro sistas coming for me lol!
1. I DON’T USE COCONUT OIL.
Word on the street was coconut oil was the shiiitttt, so I’m like shit, I wana be the shitttttt so let me try it. I ended up looking like a piece of shit after using it because it did absolutely nothing to my hair. NAY-THING. I actually tried a bunch of different oils, but the only thing that truly moisturizes my scalp is a good ole jar of blue magic (yes, the grease your mama would pull out back in the day to get you school picture ready). Get chu someee.
2. I DON’T DRY MY HAIR WITH NOTHING FANCY.
On wash day, I use a regular towel. It actually may even be 100% cotton. Sue me.
3. I DON’T FINGER DETANGLE.
Kudos to people that can do this, but my hair is entirely too thick and crazy, it would just look back at me like “biiitch please.” I use a denman brush to detangle, and I love it! Works like a charm.
4. I DON’T HAVE A WASH DAY “RITUAL.”
Girls on Youtube be doing the absolute most with their “wash day routines.” It doesn’t take me hours to wash my hair. I hop in the shower, wash and condition, wash my body, get out, apply my leave-in, put it in twists or a puff and go about my day. That simple lol. I don’t wash my hair in “sections” either. Fawk. Dat.
5. I DON’T CONSISTENTLY CLIP MY ENDS.
Look. While transitioning and even now as a full natural, I’ve seen a professional natural hair stylist MAYBE twice and that’s when I decided to let them trim my ends. If I see something looking dead and ratchet af on my own I’ll cut it, but I could have dead ass ends and not even know it lol.
6. I EAT LIKE SHIT.
Fried chicken (and chicken in general) is like 95% of my diet, no lie. The other 5% of that is complete bullsh*t. Would my hair be longer if I ate healthier? Maybe, maybe not.. but I may never know.
7. I DON’T OWN A SATIN PILLOWCASE.
I have a bonnet, but I don’t always sleep with it on. I sleep like a grown ass man, so I have to choose my battles. Sleeping “cute” is rarely ever an option for me.
But like I mentioned before, do what works best for YOUR hair. That’s the beauty in black women, we’re not all built the same and our beauty takes on many forms. 🙂
Comment below with any natural hair rules that you broke!
Xoxo, ~ NaturallyLisee